Will Physio Help Knee Pain?
One of the most misconceptions about physiotherapy for knee pain is that it is just an elementary treatment protocol that only works for some people. Not only is that view myopic, but it is also preventing millions of people who benefit from actualizing the therapeutic effects of physiotherapy.
The great thing about physiotherapy is that it is not limiting, and has something for everyone with any fitness level or any lifestyle. It is a great drug-free, non-invasive technique to work on long-term prevention measures and short-term pain management
When to See a Physio for Knee Pain?
The great thing about physiotherapy for knee pain is the multidisciplinary approach it adopts to help patients with diverse causes and lifestyles. Anyone and everyone can seek physiotherapy treatment for their knee pain no matter the cause. You might need physiotherapy for knee pain after major orthopedic surgery, therapeutic treatment to manage the painful symptoms of degenerative diseases like arthritis, restore your range of movement and functionality after a major accident, etc. Physiotherapy for knee pain is a choice treatment plan that is often recommended by doctors to help you get back your strength and help in speedy recovery.
How Does Physio Help Knee Pain?
Everyone’s clinical history and cause of injury are different. This is why physiotherapy is so helpful for people as it is designs customized and personalized plans to accommodate your lifestyle, genetic history, comfort, fitness level, injury, and pre-existing health conditions. Your assigned physical therapist may use one of the following or combinations of the two to help manage your painful symptoms.
- Stretches, exercises, and muscle strengthening.
- RICE Technique
- Heat and Ice therapy
- TEN’s massaging and muscle stimulation
- Massage therapies
- Movement manipulation
- Postural Correction
- Lifestyle Changes
Also Read: Knee Arthritis Exercises to Avoid
Benefits of Physiotherapy for Knee Pain
The great thing about physiotherapy is that it is easily accessible by everyone and now with the digital revolution, digital physiotherapy and online physiotherapy services are available that can help you reap the benefits of knee pain physiotherapy treatment at home. Here are some of the most important benefits of physiotherapy for knee pain-
- It is a great tool for post-operative care. If you are someone who has undergone major surgery, your doctor will most probably recommend physiotherapy for knee pain to help restore back normal functionality. Your physiotherapist works from planning the treatment to overseeing the execution and post-recovery to check any flare-ups and painful symptoms. It is a great holistic form of post-operative care that helps prevent post-op complications and helps the patient recover faster and better.
- It is tailor made for every patient. Not every patient’s case is the sane. People have varying genetic vulnerabilities and fitness levels, and therefore physiotherapy is not a one-size fits all progra,. The first session with your physiotherapist is always a comprehensive assessment of your clinical history and lifestyle conditions. They will discuss long term ways in which they help build your strength and facilitate movement and range of motion in the leg and knee. They will do a thorough physical examination of the knee- see if it moves and bends correctly and if you can straighten it without pain. They will check your balance and recommend movement correction to help you from worsening the pain in your knee. All this goes into creating an ideal plan for recovery.
- Physiotherapy for knee pain keeps patients active. It is very important to exercise and generate movement to help recovery. Elongated rest periods can make your knee pain worse. Through a combination of cardio and muscle strengthening exercises, physiotherapy for knee pain keeps your painful symptoms at bay. Make sure to keep your physiotherapist updated on your pain levels and immediately convey to them if you have painful symptoms. Examples of these exercises are-
- Along with exercises, they also provide a post-workout recovery plan with TENs massagers that send therapeutic pulsating vibrations to the affected muscles that prevent them from getting too sore and inflamed. TENS is short for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. By using sticky patches of electrodes, tiny electric signals will stimulate the nerves in the muscle to help in better blood flow and lesser painful sensations.
- Physiotherapy for knee pain can also be relaxing with the massage therapies included in your treatment plan that can help you relax, while also releasing the tension and stress build up in your muscles.
- Physiotherapy also helps in remedying your incorrect movements and lifestyle choices that are worsening your pain. Instead of just focusing their care on the treatment, they extend their therapy to your lifestyle choices as well. Your physiotherapist works with you to ensure that you have supportive equipment and ergonomic office and lifestyle gadgets. They assess your sleeping position and recommend correct postures that won’t worsen your situation.
For more information about knee pain and physiotherapy for knee pain, head on to Phyt Health, India’s first digital physiotherapy platform offering online physiotherapy services and consultations. With a wealth of knee exercises present on their website, you can include them in your daily life depending on your comfort level. All these exercises are curated by expert physiotherapists at Phyt Health. You can also book your online video consultation on the app, to discuss any issues you might be facing and begin your journey towards recovery!